Posts Tagged ‘digg’
The problem of similar stories floating on Digg has been around for quite some time and it poses problems on the Digg ecosystem as Digg is unable to differentiate these similar stories. But now it might just have the solution for it. Digg has now released some major updates to its dupe detection technology to eliminate duplicate submissions. Here’s how it works:
To better understand the nature of the problem, we analyzed the types of duplicate stories being submitted. Most common are the same stories from the same site, but with different URLs. Our R&D team came up with a solution that identifies these types of duplicates by using a document similarity algorithm. Look for a separate tech blog post on how this works, but it has proven to be a reliable way of identifying identical content from the same source.
There’s a length post on the Digg blog explaining all the major updates to Digg. You might want to read it if you are interested about this update.
Like Twitter, there are a lot of Digg apps and add-ons out there and since we also use Digg a lot, we have reviewed and compiled a great list of 60+ Awesome Digg Apps, Mash-Ups, Plugins And Services, If you liked this post, please go ahead and give it a little digg [we know you want to ] or feel free to retweet it on Twitter and share this great list around!!
Apple Mac Desktop Digg Clients
- EventBox: We showed you this app before. EventBox is like a Friendfeed app for Mac in which you get updates from the various social networking services and update them at one go.
- DiggUpdate: A menubar app that gives you quick access to the latest front page stories on the Digg homepage. Windows version also available for download.
Apple Mac Dashboard Digg Clients
- Dugg: A Digg widget for Mac OS X Desktop with a slick interface and search function.
- Diggit Widget: Check this out!! Another great Digg widget for your Mac perfect for reading Digg posts!!
- Social Responsibility: Another simple dashboard widget for your mac that lets you browse a variety of categories from Digg.
- Digg.com RSS Widget 3.1: This widget gets the latest headlines from digg.com every 15 minutes and displays them in a pleasant interface.
- Digg Submission Widget: Submit stories directly to Digg using this great widget
- digg.com Widget: Another neat Digg widget.
- diggdash: Another Digg widget alternative with a minimal interface.
- Digg News: Displays the latest news from digg.com and clicking on the news will launch it in your browser.
- Digg Widget: Simple and easy Digg widget with a Digg theme and feel.
- digg.com Feed Reader: A digg.com feed widget. Displays a custom feed, based on the search term (or topic) entered. Supports multiple instances
- Digg Images Widget: “Digg Images” automatically finds the latest front-page stories submitted to digg.com containing photos, pictures and images.
- Diggnation Video Widget 1.0: Watch the latest Diggnation video podcast with this cool dashboard widget.
Adobe AIR Clients (Cross-Platform, supports Windows, Mac and Linux)
- DiggTop: An awesome Adobe AIR Digg client that lets you view the latest digg stories and set up keywords and Digg count filters to track the stories you want.
- Digg Reader: Read the latest stories from Digg right on your desktop.
- Digg Desktop Widget; Another great Digg desktop alternative.
- miniDigg: A digg.com widget that allows you to view and track stories
Mobile And iPod Touch/iPhone Applications
- Official Digg Mobile: The official de facto Digg mobile app from Digg.
- Digg River: A very neat and streamlined mobile Digg interface. Browse topics easily and see the latest Digg posts in a compact and easy way. Login to start digging on the site as well using a quick Digg button.
- Digg Mobile: A very awesome mobile phone Digg app that works on many devices like the Symbian, BlackBerry, Pocket PC, Android, Java (J2ME)!! Now you can share stories wherever you are- on the train or in a line at the grocery store.
- Digg Mobile Beta: Another mobile Digg site alternative.
- Digg Mobile By Original Signal: A very minimal Digg mobile site for quick loading on your mobile phone.
- dgm8: Digg on your mobile phone
- Popurls Digg mobile edition: Popurls has a quick mobile digg interface as well.
- Skweezer Digg: A quick way to view the Digg homepage in a lightweight interface.
- Digg Mobile: A quick hack using Google Web Toolkit to create a great Digg mobile site, with the choice of having images or no images. [add &_gwt_noimg=1 at the back of the URL for no images]
- iStumble: iStumble is an iPod Touch/iPhone app that lets you stumble on the latest stuffs in social media, on Digg, StumbleUpon, Reddit and Delicious as well as rate them as well by logging into your accounts.
- Diggle: Yet another Digg client on the iPhone.
- Upcoming Digg: All the latest upcoming stories in one neat webpage.
Digg Browsing/Tracking/Visualizations Tools
- Digg Pics: Track the latest Digg pics and images as people digg and submit them on a fast-paced interface app from the Digg Labs
- Digg Arc: Another great Digg interface from Digg Labs for visualizing the latest Digg activities. Digg Arc displays stories, topics, and containers wrapped around a sphere. Arcs trail people as they Digg stories across topics. Stories with more Diggs make thicker arcs.
- Digg Big Spy: All the latest Digg headlines move down from the top down the list. Bigger headlines have more Digg and appear more as they get dugg.
- Digg Stacks: Looks the best so far, Digg Stacks show the latest diggs occurring in real-time as diggs fall from above and stack up on popular stories, and more brightly-colored stories have more diggs. You can also click on a particular story to view its latest trends and recent activities. A really great way to track popular and cool stuffs as they get dugg.
- Digg Swarm: Another great Digg visualization app that lest you see which stories have more digg as they get dugg.
- Digg Friends Venn Diagram: Visualize your friend and fans in this quick Digg mashup.
Other Digg Stuffs And Mash-Ups
- Flock: A specialized browser for social networking lovers, Flock lets you have access to the latest updates in social services such as Digg, Twitter, YouTube, Flick and many more.
- Digg Interface By Original Signal: Check this out: this is a really great interface to browsing all the latest Digg articles on one page with their categories sorted out neatly.
- DiggView: See the latest promoted stories on Digg in one great page.
- Twiggit: Let your Twitter followers know what you are digging through this great app.
- Digg On Twitter: Now you can track the latest diggs through your Twitter account. Avaliable in many forms like Digg Homepage and Digg 2000.
- Digg On Facebook: You can also share the latest stuffs from Digg on your Facebook through methods like Facebook Connect and Facebook Feed Import
- DiggBar: DiggBar is the official Digg toolbar that enables you to Digg, read comments, find related content, and share stuff from any page on the Web, all in a quick and easy short URL form, making it easy to share it anywhere on your social services.
- Digg Google Gadget: A slick Digg gadget on your personalized iGoogle.
- Digg MySpace Widget: If you are still using MySpace, you can check out the latest Digg news from MySpace using this great widget!!
- Google Digg Coop Module: Bring the power of Digg social news to your Google search results.
- Netvibes Digg Widget: Add top Digg content to your netvibes page.
Digg Buttons, Icons And Generators
- Official Digg Widgets: Official widget from Digg with lots of customization.
- Social Blog Badge: Link and direct your blog readers to your social profiles and services like Digg, Flickr and Delicious.
- Flash Mini Digg Viewer: Latest news from Digg in a small flash container.
- digg Widget: Another cool Digg widget from Spring Widgets.
- digg widget: A wordpress plugin that displays your past 10 dugg stories and make it a widget
- Digg Digg: Another great wordpress plugin that integrates “Digg Button” , “Reddit Me Button” , “Dzone Button” and “Yahoo Buzz Button” into your WordPress Content with loads of options.
- Digg Button Generator: One of the best and nicest Digg button generator I have ever seen. Just fill in the forms and choose a button you like to start generating the Digg button.
- FastDigg: Digging the fast way using only your keyboards.
- MySocialButtons [Digg]: A huge and wonderful collection of Digg buttons around the web.
More Digg Resources, Lists And Collections
- Complete Digg Tools Collection
- Digg Toolbox: 50 New Tools and Resources
- DIGG TOOLBOX: 50+ Digg Tools and Resources
- Digg Tools By Catagories
- Giant List Of Digg Tools
Are you ready to digg (or bury) some ads? Well, Digg is going to implement a new advertising platform called Digg Ads. Here is the gist on how it works exactly:
Digg Ads will give you more control over which advertisements are displayed on Digg. The more an ad is Dugg, the less the advertiser will have to pay. Conversely the more an ad is buried, the more the advertiser is charged, pricing it out of the system.
It will be kicking start in about a few months time and when it begins, expect to see these ads appearing alongside the other Digg stories but they will be clearly marked as sponsored and may link to stories, video trailers, independent product reviews — pretty much the same as other Digg stories. This is clearly an attempt by Digg to find a suitable advertising model to that is both sustainable and profitable. We know that Reddit has been doing this for a long time and it has been working for them so far — so it might just work for Digg as well. We don’t really know the full details yet, but if you have any opinions on this like finding them distracting, be sure to comment and let us know.
Twitter directories are places to search and find new Twitter users to follow based on your own interests as well as see top Twitter users in a particular niche area. Currently, there are quite a few of these services around such as Twellow. If you are using these type of services, you might want to check out WeFollow, a latest user-generated Twitter directory.
WeFollow is the latest project by Digg founder, Kevin Rose. The purpose of WeFollow is simple: it attempts to displays and categorize Twitter users according to tags and hence enable Twitter users to find out more about Twitters users in a particular tags users a clean and streamlined interface. Also there is a sidebar with a link to add yourself to the list with your own tags, by tweeting a reply to FollowMe.
Already, the list is very huge and there are Top Twitter users on the list such as cnnbrk and BarrackObama and we predict that the list will gets very large as more Twitter users are on the list. However, WeFollow might just be another Twitter popularity lists as we covered a while ago, but it can be quite fun as useful for new Twitter users and help us keep tab of the latest tweets across all the latest tags, so why not go have a try at it? Feel free to subscribe to our blog updates by email or RSS or comment and let us know what you think of this post!!