Archive for April 2009
4Chan is at it again. The infamous forum behind some of the most odd and funny memes on the web such as rickrollling and lolcats have successfully hacked the poll on Time to push Christopher Poole, also known as moot by his online alias, the founder of 4chan to the top of the list. Based on the list, moot has almost effortlessly cliched the top of the list with an impressive average rating of 90 and 16,794,368 votes. In comparison, the second person on the list, Anwar Ibrahim only has an average rating of 47 and 2,316,378 votes.
Although Time seems to deny of any hacking involved, we suspect there is a high chance of foul play. What exactly does the words from the first letters of the names in the poll, “MARBLECAKE ALSO THE GAME” sounds like to you? A pure coincidence? And from the look of Time’s post, it seems like the list is already official and moot is now the most influential person. 4Chan has yet again succeed in a massive but well-planned meme campaign against Time and we know that such memes will keep surfacing out for years to come. Epic win or fail? You decide.
Youtube has always been one of the biggest video sharing and streaming site but the interactions among its users has always been quite limited but YouTube RealTime might be what users need. YouTube RealTime is a new add-on to YouTube in the form of a toolbar that notifies you on what your friends are doing on YouTube that was launched just 3 days ago. This include new features like letting you see who is currently online as well as what they are doing plus invite them to watch a video that you are currently watching, all in real-time, hence allowing for great interaction among YouTube users. Here is what YouTube has to say about this:
YouTube RealTime is a new way to interact with your friends on the site. You can:
- See a list of friends currently online and what they are watching
- See a history of friends’ recent activities
- Receive real-time notifications when friends perform an activity on the site (such as comment, favorite, etc.)
Currently, YouTube RealTime is still in an invitation-only beta stage and we have been trying hard to get an invite but have not done so successfully, so if you have an invite, please copy the link from YouTube Peeps and comment it here so that we can get an invite and give YouTube RealTime a try. If you want to get an invite, you might want to try going on Twitter Search for the invite link and click the most recent link that to see if it works. Other than that, YouTube RealTime seems like a great idea and we would love to try it out as soon as possible. Check out TechCrunch’s article on YouTube RealTime for a more in-depth review about it if you are interested.
Yahoo! GeoCities is a web hosting service that has been around for a very long time now since it was created in the 90’s. After being popular for quite a long while from the late 1990s to the 20’s for almost a decade, Yahoo! GeoCities has been declining ever since with the advent of Web 2.0 and the use of blogging and social networking. Finally, it seems like Yahoo is putting an end to Yahoo! GeoCities and we will miss it. Yahoo! GeoCities was among the pioneer for making the web what it was today and helped to build community around people.
If you are a user of Yahoo! GeoCities, be sure to check out their Q & A for help if you want to know more about how to save your site data. It seems like all GeoCities accounts and web sites will be shutdown later this year and one great web service will then cease to exist. Comment and let us know what you think of this.
Twitter is hot and making an impact on social networking on the web. With the recent Twitter race between Ashton Kutcher and CNN as well as Tweetie just released for the Mac, Twitter is becoming more and more significant in the social networking and social media world. It is no wonder Twitter is a great platform for many awesome extensions to develop. In this post, we will show you to 70+ Twitter apps, add-ons, services, mashups and plugins to enhance your Twitter experience. Please help us spread this post on Twitter if you liked this article!! All of the Twitter apps listed below are free unless otherwise stated:
Apple Mac Desktop Twitter Clients
- Twitterific: Undoubtedly one of the most popular native Twitter app on the Mac, Twitterific has a rich set of features as well as a gorgeous and slick interface. You can get an ad-supported Twitterific for free but if you want to remove the ads, you would have to pay $14.95.
- TwitterPost: One of the earliest Twitter client on the Mac, TwitterPost might not have been updated for a long time, but its neat and clean interface might be appealing to some users.
- Eventbox: A social app thats integrates Flickr, Facebook, Twitter, Pownce, Digg, Reddit, RSS and Google Reader all in one great place. Eventbox is currently a shareware with a price tag of $15.00.
- MoodBlast: Ping your latest status update to iChat, Skype, Adium, Twitter, Jaiku, Tumblr and Facebook in MoodBlast without using multiple apps. MoodBlast is a charityware so be sure to donate if you can to support its development!! Kudos to the developer for such a useful app!!
- TwitterPod: Another neat and simple Twitter app with all the basic features.
- NatsuLion: Designed to be simple and easy to use
- Blogo: A shareware priced at $25.00 that is designed for bloggers to manage their blogs and social networking accounts all in one place.
- Lounge: Neat interface that is similar to iTunes and its iPhone counterpart, Lounge is currently in alpha stage but shows great promise as a prominent Twitter app.
- Tweetie: We told your about Tweetie at the start of this post. Tweetie is a native Mac Twitter app that is comparable to other Twitter AIR apps.
- DestroyTwitter: A relatively new Twitter client with an unusual interface.
- Nambu: Another popular Twitter client that is on the rise.
- Bluebird: Highly customizable with themes and is both clean and simple, Bluebird is still in its beta but it is showing quite a huge potential.
- Pwitter: A Twitterific clone that is free and slightly more functional.
- Scalaris: A menubar app thats uses Growl to notify you of updates.
Apple Mac Dashboard Twitter Clients
- Twidget: Update and track the latest Tweets in your Dashboard by using Twidget, a highly functional widget
- Twitterlex: Another client that boost a highly simple and compact interface and is also highly functional.
- TwitterBoard: Another Twitter client on the Dashboard.
- Twitgit: Tweet from your dashbaord and keep track of the latest tweets.
- Chirp Widget: Sweet customizable Twitter widget with a stunning interface.
Adobe AIR Clients (Cross-Platform, supports Windows, Mac and Linux)
- thwirl: One of the best and well-known Twitter AIR client, twhirl is both simple and highly functional.
- TweetDeck: TweetDeck place much emphasis on organizing your Twitter feed based on categories and groups and is highly suitable to Twitter users.
- Snitter: Another neat Adobe AIR client for light Twitter users.
- Spaz: An Adobe AIR Twitter client that is open-source and licensed under a BSD license.
- Seesmic Desktop: A neat Twitter client from the Seesmic team.
- feedalizer: One-click micro-blogging client that supports Twitter, FriendFeed and Flickr.
- Tweetr: Send file to your friends just by dragging it to Tweetr as well as camera function using this cool Twitter app.
Firefox Twitter Plugins
- Twitbin: One of the most popular and simplest twitter plugin on Firefox
- TwitterFox: Another neat Firefox Twitter client alternative.
- TwitterBar: Now you can tweet a quick post from your address bar in FireFox using this nifty app. A small Twitter icon sits to the right of your address bar; clicking on it will post your tweet, and you can hover your mouse over it to see how many characters you have left.
- TwitKit: Another awesome Twitter client alternative for tweeting on Firefox
Other Twitter Clients
- Pwytter: A free multi-platform Twitter client written in Python.
- PeraPeraPrv: Pure Java client that is cross-plaform.
- Tweetbox: A Twitter client built in JavaFX
- Tweeter: Another Twitter app built on Java.
Mobile And iPod Touch/iPhone Applications
- Hahlo: A cool Twitter web client that is specially optimized for iPod Touch/iPhone users with a sleek interface and rich set of features to satisfy your Twitter needs when you are on the move.
- TwitterFon: A simple and clean Twitter app on the iPod Touch/iPhone
- Twitterific: The most popular Mac Twitter app comes to the iPhone with the same terrific interface.
- Twinkle: One of the best Twitter app on the iPhone with a neat functionality.
- Nambu: Twitter + FriendFeed + Ping.fm + pic.im/tr.im client on the iPhone.
- Twittlelator: Another fully featured Twitter iPhone app.
- NatsuLion For iPhone: Open Source Twitter goodnesss on your iPod Touch/iPhone with very small memory footprint.
- PocketTweets: Twitter web interface for your iPhone
- twitterforiphone: Neat web Twitter client optimized for your iPhone
- iTweet: A great web client that is very light-weight loads very fast and is suitable for both the iPhone and mobile phones.
Twitter Image + Vidoes + Music Sharing And Hosting
- Twitpic: Among the most popular app to share picture on your Twitter account from your desktop or mobile phone.
- Yfrog: Another photo sharing service create by ImageShack with a simple and neat interface.
- Twitgoo: Twitgoo has an interface that is similar to Twitter itself and is another great alternative to Twitpic.
- Twadl: Share photo and track how many people clicked on the link you posted. Uploading of music files will be supported at a later date.
- Twibeo: Fun and easy way to share photos and videos using Twibeo.
- Posterous; Update and share the latest media files just by emailing Posterous without having to sign up.
- Picktor: Picktor is very unique and convenient as it allows you to manage and tag your photos across your social networks, such as MySpace, Twitter, Flickr and Facebook.
- Pix.im: Another free service that lets you upload your picture and share as well as tag and monitor the stats of the pictures.
- Tweetcube: Tweetcube allows you to share files on Twitter such as music, images and videos by uploading them with a cap of 10 MB and then tweeting on Twitter.
Twitter Ranking/Measurement/Visualizations Tools
- Twitterholic: Check out the latest ranking of all the Twitter users across the world as well as monitor your followers trends and other stats.
- Twitterank: Calculate your ranking and confidence level using Twitterank based on many criteria.
- Twitter Grader: Another Twitter app that measures your reach, ranking and other details.
- TwitGraph: Twitgraph presents all your Twitter stats and data in a easily digestible pie chart form.
- TweetStats: Same as TwitGraph except that it uses colorful bar chart instead
- Twitter Stats: Another mashup alternative to visualize your Twitter stats
- WeFollow: A Twitter directory arranged according to many categories such as tech and music and has a massive number of Twitter users lists based on follower count.
Twitter Buttons, Icons And Generators
- Twitter Buttons: A cool site that offers loads of Twitter buttons for you to use.
- MySocialButtons [Twitter]: A huge collection of gorgeous and high-quality Twitter buttons and icons that are free to use.
- Tweetsnap: Generate a Twitter badge photo with the latest tweet and place it on your site.
- Tweetbars: Generate signature badges to be used on your blogs, emails or forums using your Twitter account.
- TwitStamp: Similar to Tweetsnap but it offers a greater level of customization.
- Tweeterized: Another neat Twitter badge generator with a high level of customization.
- Twitter Tag: Another Twitter badge generator with unique features.
- Prettytweet: Create your own Twitter background using this simple app.
- Tweetmeme Button: Let your reader and friends retweet your posts using these buttons.
- TweetSmarter: Generate an instant retweet link using this nifty tool
More Twitter Resources, Lists And Collections
- Social Bookmarking Buttons: 25+ Sets Of Free Stunning Web 2.0 Icons [Over 500+ Icons]
- TWITTER TOOLBOX: 60+ Twitter Tools
- Twittermania: 140+ More Twitter Tools!
- 26 Ways To Share Images and Pictures on Twitter [List]
- 181 Free Twitter Buttons, Badges, Widget and Counters to Help You Find Followers
- Twitter Fan Wiki Ultimate List Of Apps