Posts Tagged ‘social media’
It’s time for the daily wrap-up here and we know it has been a busy week here, but there are lots of new stuffs and updates you don’t want to miss so here is the roundup of what’s happening around the web recently:
- Jolicloud: The New Social Netbook OS Coming Soon: Jolicloud is the name of the new social OS for netbooks launching soon and it’s pretty cool. Expect to see its name popping around soon.
- Even More Social: Twitter And Facebook Integration Coming To Xbox Live: Minor news but the Xbox just got a lot more social.
- Watch Out Safari: New Opera 10 Goes Turbo: Seriously, the new Opera 10 Beta rocks!! Loving it a lot so be sure to give it a try!!
- YouTube XL Launches: It’s Like A YouTube TV: YouTube TV, anyone??
- Google Chrome For Mac And Linux: Are We Supposed To Download it Yet??: Google launches Chrome for Mac and Linux but it’s really buggy.
- Digg This: Now You Can Digg Or Bury Ads: Digg + Ads = Digg Ads.
- Google Squared Organizes Search Results In Spreadsheet Form: Time for some Google Excel search results with Google Squared.
- Facebook Launches Vanity URLS For All Users: Facebook launches vanity URLs… oh wait, it has already been launched, have you gotten one yet?
- StumpleUpon Goes Su.pr With Latest URL Shortener: StumpleUpon’s version of DiggBar — Su.pr.
- Jolicloud’s Website Goes Live: Now In Private Alpha: Even more developments on Jolicloud, the social OS.
- Twitter Launches Verified Accounts Beta: Are you a famous celebrity or person? Then, it’s time to get your account verified on Twitter!!
- Flickr Twitter Beta: Flickr Testing Twitter Integration Through Email Uploads: Flickr photos everywhere — now on Twitter.
- It’s Twitpocalypse Now: Twitter Clients Not Working: Oh now — its Twitpocalypse!! Are we going to make it? P.S: We did make it.
- Share Your Videos: YouTube Just Got More Social: It’s time YouTube got more social as well.
- Twitterrific Gets Fixed: Now On The App Store: Follow-up post to Getting Fixed: Twitterrific 2.0.2 Now On Its Way
We know that we have not been posting regularly these days and we apologize for that — but now that we are back up and even more awesome than before, you can expect to see loads of cool news, tips and reviews coming right up really soon!! But first, here is the roundup of what’s happening around the web recently:
- Google Wave Makes A Tsunami But We Have Yet To See It: Google Wave Launches — What exactly is Google Wave anyway??
- Bing Goes Live: Does It Match Up To Google?: Bing from Microsoft launches and we take it our for a test run to see how it matches up against Google.
- New Gmail Feature: Google Translate Integration: Another day, another Gmail feature.
- Twitter Tees: Threadless To Crowdsource Twitter Tees With Twitter: You heard it right — Twitter tees.
- Tumblr Directory: Yet Another Directory On Tumblr: Tumblr launches Tumblr Directory, we have a quick post about it.
- Show Your Best Content: Google Friend Connect Adds Recommendation Features: Social networking is now on the rise — even Google shows so now.
- IM On The Go: eBuddy Now On The Android: IM wherever you are — the new reality with eBuddy Android.
- Wolfram Alpha: The Search Engine For Weather Geeks?: Seriously, is this search engine geeks-only?
- Ultimate iPod Touch/iPhone Games Toolbox: 75+ Free Must-Have Games Of All Time: Check this article out for a full loads of free iPod games.
- Twitter Terrific: Twitterrific 2.0 Now On The iPod Touch/iPhone: New features in Twitterrific 2.0, we review it in this quick post.
- New In Google Latitude: Share Your Location On The Go: Time for the rise of real-time location sharing with the new Google Latitude feature.
- Seesmic Desktop Updated: Now With Facebook Integration [Awesome As Usual]: You and me love Facebook so Seesmic Desktop gets an update.
Google Friend Connect is a social service by Google that lets you join a particular site’s group as a member and lets you connect with the other members and your friends. Compared to other social services, Google Friend Connect is relatively new and unique. Just recently, Google Friend Connect has been updated with a new feature update known as Recommendation Gadgets which lets you and your visitors “recommend” the best content on your site. In short, here is a quick excerpt from the Google blog on how it works, along with a quick introductory video:
Members can recommend the content they like, anything from a whole page to a single photo, by simply clicking a button. Then you and anyone who visits your site can see what parts of your site are the most popular. The items with the most votes will surface to the top of the list, making it easier for others to find even if it’s buried deep within your site. You can even see which members have recommended a given item and learn more about them.
Swine Flu Toolbox: 45+ Awesome Apps, Mash-Ups, Plugins And Services To Track And Be Safe From Swine Flu
Swine flu is spreading like wildfire all around the world. Swine flu, also known as H1N1 is a avian influenza virus that started in Mexico and has been spreading globally since the last month, such as the USA and recently to Asia. With the use of social media such as Twitter as well as the use of Web 2.0, you can track the latest swine flu news and trends easily and quickly, all in real-time. Here is a great list of 45+ awesome apps, add-ons, services, mashups and plugins to get updated about the latest swine flu news as well as to visualize and track it as the flu spread across the world, while keeping yourself safe from the flu. Be sure to help us spread this post on Twitter or digg this post if you liked it!!
Swine Flu News Alerts And Updates
- Swine Flu Alltop: All the swine flu news coverage across many media outlets can be seen here in an easy interface.
- Pulse Swine Flue Tracker: Pulse has a tracker dedicated to tracking the latest swine flu outbreaks and news that is updated regularly.
- H1N1 Swine Influenza Timeline: See the latest updates of Swine Flu in a text outline and timeline form with links to the news sources for more details.
- Addict-o-matic Swine Flu: This might be the best service for tracking swine flu updates. You can track the latest swine flu news on Twitter, Friendfeed, Digg, Delicious, YouTube and many more social media outlets all in one neat and easy interface.
- Swine Flu Tracking: News Media all about the swine flu including graphs, maps, videos and pictures.
- Swine Flu Google News: Use Google News to track the latest Swine Flu news across all news media online.
Swine Flu Updates On Twitter
- Veratect On Twitter: Veratect is a tech company that provides new on the earliest detection of the latest information on the swine influenza on Twitter 24/7.
- RedCross On Twitter: Get the latest news and tips from the American Red Cross on how to prepare and keep safe from Swine Flu.
- HealthMap On Twitter: Keep track of the latest news from HealthMap through Twitter.
- WHO News On Twitter: WHO is on Twitter with the latest swine flu alets.
- Tweetmeme Swine Flu Outbreak: The Swine Flu Outbreak channel on Tweetmeme posts the latest and most popular links relating to Swine Flu.
- The_Swine_Flu: If swine flu were to be tweeting on Twitter…
- CDC Twitter: The official account of CDC with the latest breaking news on swine flu.
- Twitter Search Swine Flu: Nothing beats tracking the latest swine flu news other than Twitter Search.
Swine Flu Maps, Visualizations And Trends
- Google Flu Trends: Keep track of the latest flu trends by using Google Flu Trends which make use of Google search data to track flu activity in the U.S. two weeks faster than traditional systems
- Experimental Flu Trends for Mexico: Same as Google Flu Trends but this is used to track the flu trends in Mexico instead along with details of the situation in different states of Mexico.
- HealthMap: Track the latest outbreaks of the virus around the world on a map across many countries with lots of details.
- Swine Flu Twitter Map Tracker: Track the latest tweets about the swine flu in real-time.
- H1N1 Swine Flu Google Maps: Track the latest swine flu outbreak with this great map tracker from Google Map.
- Swine Flu Cases Maps NYTimes: Another great alternative to tracking the Swine flu on an interactive map from the New York Times.
- Swine Flu World Map: Visualize the latest swine flu cases on a world map and check for confirmed, death and negative cases.
- Interactive Swine Flu Map From NBC: Can’t get enough of tracking the swine flu on the map? NBC has another map to track it too.
- BBC Swine Flu Map: See how the swine flu has spread across the world and how many cases have been confiremd along with the death toll.
- Flu Tweets On Google Maps: Track the latest tweets about swine flu all around the U.S in real-time on Google Maps.
Swine Flu Alerts And Updates On iPod Touch/iPhone And Mobile Phones
- H1N1 Command Central: A great site optimized for your iPhone to keep track of the latest swine flu updates on a map and via news headlines.
- 2009 H1N1 Virus (Influenza A) Tracker: A simple and easy to use iPhone web app to track swine flu cases.
- Swine Flu News: A great compilation of Swine Flu News for iPhone users to browse.
- Swine Flu Bulletins And Headline News: Yet another iPhone optimized swine flu news tracker.
- Swine Flu SMS Alerts: If you want to keep track of the pig flu, here is a great SMS alert service to keep you updated when you are on the move.
- Mobile CDC: Now you can get the latest CDC swine flu news on your mobile phone.
Swine Flu Widgets And Buttons
- Swine Flu Widgets From WidgetBox: A great list of widgets to put on your blog and other social networking accounts to track the latest swine flu news.
- Swine Flu Widget From Feedzilla: Another widget that provides a map about the latest swine flu updates as well as links to news media about the latest global swine flu news.
- CDC H1N1 News Updates: A widget from Netvibes that can be installed on Mac, Windows and many more which track the latest swine influenza news.
- Swine Flu Mapping: Free Swine Flu mapping widget for your Mac to track swine flu in real time using the Google Maps API.
- CDC Swine Flu Widgets: CDC has a whole lot of widgets relating to swine flu for you to put it on your social accounts.
- Swine Flu Buttons: Do your part to keep Swine Flu at bay by encouraging your web site visitors to stay away from Swine Flu.
- Swine Flu Updates: Keep track of the latest news about the H1N1 Flu virus from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) using this web slice that can be installed on your Internet Explorer as as an add-on.
Other Swine Flu Media Outlets And Stuffs
- The Swine Flu On Facebook: Track the latest Swine Flu news in a humorous way as this Facebook account tweets the latest swine flu spread around the world in an informal way.
- Swine Flu On Facebook: This Facebook group keep tracks of the latest news about swine flu.
- Swine Flu – Influenza A (H1N1) – Facts News Updates Widgets: Another Facebook group dedicated to tracking the latest swine flu news updates.
- CDC On Facebook: CDC is on Facebook to keep you updated with the latest swine flu updates. Seems like CDC is embracing social media a lot now as an effective communication outlet.
- CDC Group: Another social group from CDC.
- CDC Myspace: If you are still using Myspace, CDC is also on Myspace as well with the latest updates.
- CDC Flickr: Wow!! Now you can also browse the latest swine flu images from CDC on Flickr!!
- CDC RSS: CDC also has a whole list of RSS for you to subscribe in an RSS reader to keep track of the latest updates easily.
- CDC e-Cards: Pretty much irrelevant to this post, but you can send an e-card to your loved one to keep them healthy.
- CDC YouTube: Check out the latest videos about swine flu and tips and tricks to prevent the flu- all on YouTube.
- Flue Wiki: Flu Wiki has everything you need to know about the swine flu with lots of resources and how to prepare for it.
More Swine Flu Resources, Lists And Compilations
Reddit.TV was just launched recently and it is proving to be quite an awesome addition to reddit services. Using reddit.TV, you can browse the latest and hottest video and when you find a video that you like, just hit the thumbnail to watch it. The interface has been kept neat and simple with the few minimal and basic functions like sifting through videos by categories and a “I’m bored” button to see random videos. You can then tweet the video you are watching to your Twitter by clicking on the little blue bird or comment on the video. Reddit.TV may seems simple enough but it would be nice if you could vote on the video that you were watching on the reddit.TV page. Here is a quick video to show you what it really looks like:
Originally spotted by Micro Persuasion, Google has apparently launched a new iGoogle widget called What’s Popular that is quite similar to Digg and Reddit in which users can submit and vote an article by voting it up or down and the more popular articles are decided by a special algorithm and the stories with the most ‘pops’ in a short period of time are more likely to rise to the top. Here is quick description from the Google Labs to tell you what it is all about:
The What’s Popular gadget by Google helps you discover interesting items from all over the Internet.How we find interesting stuff
What’s Popular uses algorithms to find interesting content from a combination of your submissions and trends in aggregated user activity across a variety of Google services, like YouTube and Google Reader.Ratings
You can rate items that you like or dislike by clicking the ratings buttons next to each item. If you change your mind, you can change your rating at anytime. The What’s Popular gadget looks at what users liked or disliked to improve its ranking of interesting items.Add a URL
Tell What’s Popular about interesting items you have found! If they become popular, they may rise to the top of our list! You can submit an item with or without attribution to yourself and preview your submission before you post. If you decide to associate your username with your submission you’ll be able to edit its title and description. The items you submitted can be found in the “My adds” area, where you can remove your name if you change your mind.Terms of Service and Privacy
As of now, there are only about 1500 users but we are already seeing how popular it can get. Apparently, What’s Popular is quite transparent and you won’t know what submitted so which article so it is up to you to vote for the article based on your preferences as well as its quality. What’s Popular is simple to use and its interface is compact and neat but its features are also quite limited as a result and this the the closest Google can come to a social bookmarking news app. Do you like the new widget? Comment and let us know what you think
Web 2.0 is the latest craze. Blogs and social bookmarking and networking are the latest trends in the web tech world. So, to anyone who has a blog or just a profile page where they want people to bookmark their posts easily, you need gorgeous and large social icons to enable people to do so easily. So, we have compiled a list of stunning social bookmarking icons and buttons that are free to use but you have to do so in compliance with their respective license. Some of these services ranges from Reddit, Digg, Delicious, Twitter, StumbleUpon, Facebook, Flickr, Newsvine, Magnolia, Furl, Mixx and many more.
Social Icons Sets
- Social Bookmark Icons by Fast Icon: 12 gorgeous squarish icons from Fast Icon.
- Chococons: A set of stunning chocalate social bookmarking icons
- Christmas Social Bookmark Icons: Many free Christmas-themed icons.
- Circle Social Bookmark: 10 wonderful circular social bookmarking icons.
- Doodle: A set of doodle icons that looks unique.
- Feed Twitter Monster Icons: A set of feed and twitter monsters in it.
- Web 2: A large pack of 23 Web 2.0 icons in this set.
- Webdev Social Bookmark Icons: A set of 3-D social bookmarking icons.
- Cube Social Icons: A set of cool “cubish” social icons
- Social Icons Made of Wood: A set of woody social bookmark buttons.
- Web 2.0 Origami: Love origami? This set of social icons might be the best origami set icons ever.
- Cheers: Web 2.0 in a glass.
- Hearting Social Icon Set: 22 heart-shaped social icons.
- Nurture: Go green with these set of cool icons.
- The Leaves Fall: Falling leaves + Social icons
- Handycons: A free set of hand drawn social media icons.
- Handycons 2: The second set of Handycons with 20 more icons.
- Social Media Mini Iconpack: Go mini with these free 16 by 16 pixels icons
- Set of Social Icons: A set of jagged shaped icons.
- Dellifeed Icon Set: The tasty goodness of social bookmarking.
Social Bookmark Iconset: Circular set of social bookmark icons.
- Cafe Icon Set: Cafe-themed icon set from Smashing Magazine.
- Social Web Icons- Set #1: Gorgeous icons with a nice gloss.
- 6 Free New Social Icons: A set of unusual social bookmark icons
And here are more posts and sites that have a great list of stylish and cool social icons. Let us know if you know any more great collections of icons out there.
Other Great Free Social Icons Collections
- Download 30 sets of free Social Bookmarking Icons: PSD Rockstar
- The Best Social Media Icons All In One Place: WBL
- Social Bookmarking Icons Collection: WebResourcesDepot
- 21 Sets of Free Social Bookmarking Icons for Your Blog: wpzoom
BONUS: Be sure to check out My Social Buttons for loads of free social buttons all in one place. It will save you lots of time trying to find all the social buttons out there. Kudos to the team for such a useful collection of social buttons!! : )